Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Country Mud Bench


The two busiest places in my kitchen are the refrigerator and the mud bench. Luckily, they're side by side.




Although the refrigerator cost a bundle, the mud bench was free and so easy! In fact, the hardest part about the mud bench was chiseling out a space to put it. In my old house, this space held the garbage can. What a waste of space that was!

To make this seat, I grabbed an old end table from storage. Here it is in an old Christmas picture from 2000.




I flipped over the table, unscrewed the legs and sides, then used a circular saw to cut down the top. While it was apart, I also cut down the legs to make the table a more comfortable sitting height.



Then I slapped on a coat of paint (my favorite color is Annie Sloan's Duck Egg).

The top of the bench is made from leftover wood from the cabinet maker but you could use pallet wood or barn wood.




For caps and jackets, I added an old garage sale shelf to the top and old doorknobs I'd collected. Then I screwed the unit to the wall, patched over the screw holes, and distressed the whole thing with clear wax, then dark wax.

(Here's a waxing tip: Clean up your wax brushes with hot water and Dawn Dishwashing Soap. Easy, cheap cleanup!)



Since we live in the country, I knew this would be a busy area so I wanted my bench and hanging unit to be separate. That way I could clean out the mud tray under the seat easily.



So have a seat. Change your shoes. Grab the dog leashes and get a cola from the frig. It's time to go for a walk!




11 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new fan, via Teresa Cano's blog. I love your mud bench. What a great repurpose. The color, style and added features are fantastic.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like you naming it a mud "bench" instead of seat. Sounds so much better! In fact, I'm changing the wording in the post because of you. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Well, now, that's exactly what I need in my entryway. It's always such a clutter but you have gifted me with your whimsy. I'm making one of these, if you don't mind my borrowing your idea. A mud or muck bench is just the ticket for our muddy spring boots. Bring it on, springtime.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow away, Dar! And like I said on your blog, I'll be by in a few years for a piece of that apple pie!

      Delete
  3. The garage-sale shelf adds just the flair it needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One person's trash is another person's treasure, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. My hat's off to you and your
    wood working skills -
    & your creative ideas.
    Missy Redlover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy Redlover(I'd forgotten that name. LOL!), With your skills I take that prose as a high compliment!

      Delete
  5. Hey you. . .it is SO nice to see you again in blog world! I love the little bench you created, pretty talented. My store is now selling that Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and it FLIES out of the store. I have seen anything this popular in a very long time. I hope all is well with you and that you are feeling good, rested, and content.

    Take care my friend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you, right back at ya! We'll see if I can keep up this blogging gig AND finish up the new house. Have you used AS paint yet? I love it. Did all my cabinets in it. I'm two years cancer free now. One more year with this type of C and I'll be considered cured. Love keeping up with you and those grandkids on FaceBook! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Love your mud bench. It's such a great color! I didn't realize you were blogging again. Glad to see you back in blogland.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion doesn't count, but I'd like to know what it is anyway! Please leave a comment!