I fall off the wagon and get sauced about once a month. It's really easy to do in the microwave and the results are terrific.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
...in a one quart glass dish (it needs to be that large to prevent boilover) and microwave for two minutes, stirring after one minute.
Gradually stir in 1 cup milk. Stirring every minute, microwave for 3 1/2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. A wire whisk or fork will give you a smoother sauce with minimum stirring.
This makes one cup of white sauce...
...and is really good on salmon patties, among other things.
- Curry sauce - Add two to three teaspoons curry powder along with flour. Follow above directions.
- Thick sauce - Use three tablespoons flour instead of two tablespoons. Follow above directions.
- Dill sauce - To finished sauce, add two teaspoons dill weed and one teaspoon lemon juice.
- Horseradish sauce - To finished sauce, add one to two teaspoons cream style horseradish.
- Cheese sauce - Add a cup of shredded sharp cheese and a dash of cayenne pepper to finished sauce. Microwave another minute or two to melt cheese.