I. h.a.v.e. a.l.w.a.y.s. w.a.n.t.e.d. s.w.i.n.g.i.n.g. b.a.r. d.o.o.r.s!
They are so cool and western. This pair was in pretty rough condition, with water damage and missing hardware. The hardware that was still there was nasty!
Renee and I again went back at the end of the garage sale (we're getting famous for that) and I got them for, you guessed it, a dollar, my favorite price!
At home I removed the yucky hardware, filled in the old holes, and glued and clamped some splits in the wood.
New hardware was a couple of bucks but very easy to install. It was a snap to get the two doors to be even up and down, forward and backwards, especially since I left that part up to IT Guy, but it did look easy!
After installation I took the doors back down and sanded them after filling in some of the really rough spots with wood putty. Then I spray painted them black, of course.
Between each coat of paint I used extra fine steel wool to smooth the surface. I then put some brown paint on top of the black for an aged look (see right door), again rubbing the paint with steel wool until I got the effect I wanted (see left door).
Come on in and I'll buy ya a drink!
Terlet Paper Storage
Here's another find from that day but I probably overpaid for it - two whole dollars! It's some type of old feeder, all rusted and nasty just like I love stuff. I cleaned it up with a wire brush, then spray varnished it with some clear rust preventive.
I put the terlet paper storage unit in the guest bathroom and left the feeder door open just a little so visitors that might feel the need for gobs of terlet paper can see where it's stored.