Thursday, November 20, 2008

It took me long enough!


Some projects take forever. It's not that you don't know what you want. It's just slow getting there.


This table was one of those projects. I bought the piece of cypress at a garage sale years ago for two dollars. (I was just telling PJ the other day that I might not remember all my children's names but I know what garage sale I bought something at and at what price. I guess my brain has its priorities!)

The piece was rough sawn, with bark on the sides. But wow, the potential was shining through. I hand sanded the sucker for a couple of years, in between easier projects. But when I was through with the sanding and the staining and the varnishing, I still only had a table top, no base.

Another year passed and I made my first trip to Round Top/Warrenton. After waking my legs off in the Bar W field, there was the perfect table base. I got the dealer down to my price and proudly took it back to Renee, Susan and Andy, and Other Doug. They were less than impressed, especially when I tried to use it as a chair and almost broke it! But it was just what I was looking for.


The lamp came another year later. Renee and I found it at a flea market for a buck. It just goes to show you that old saying is true: One peron's trash is another person's treasure.

The same saying applies to husbands and boyfriends!

6 comments:

  1. Are you implying that at these Texas yard-sales they sell men who are only slightly worn, but are in otherwise good shape?

    Cool lamp and the table is quite a creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that I have figured out, and by my self I must tell you! I learned how to sign in and can eaisly make a comment! Better watch out!!!! I could be dangerous! Once again, you have proven that I CAN be wrong about some of your buy's. Your mind works in mysterious ways.I think I have seen some of those garage sale guy's and they are heavily used sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! The lamp is my fav. ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no such word as a gentlyused exhusband. Very cool lamp. Tn'T

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shows that some things are worth the wait (and the commitment!). Great pairing of items!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion doesn't count, but I'd like to know what it is anyway! Please leave a comment!